Hello nurse (okay I just said that because my husband and I watched Animaniacs the other day).
I am super excited as I sit down to write this because I have been nominated for…drumroll please….a Liebster Award……
Matilda over at The Little Mom That Could notified me that she wanted to nominate me for the award and I was shocked. I met Matilda through a Mommy blogging group and I instantly admired the writing and content on her blog. Yeah, you could say I was a little jealous. Not only does she share stores about her family and her childhood but the recipes she shares are like…awesome. And as I have connected with her she is also one of the nicest individuals as well! Thank you Matilda I am so honored, humbled and also excited you nominated me.
There is an order of business I have to follow now, which is kind of fun…here are the rules…
Here are the 11 questions Matilda gave to me and my answers…bear with me, I think I went on and on more than I maybe should have.
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
At the beginning of the year, I was still waiting for little Harrison to be born. At that time I knew I would be leaving my job as a journalist and was trying to find a way to continue telling stories and writing everyday of my life. I had blogged before but as I started a new chapter in my life I thought it was time to ditch the old blog and start a new one. So here I am just a few months later. Blogging away! I also wanted to meet others through blogging, which I have and it has been a huge blessing to connect with all of you!
2. We’re all moms. And our lives are full of ups and downs, some that can have us crying at the drop of a pin or singing at the top of our lungs while dancing with joy. So as a mom what is the most challenging part of motherhood for you?
Right now, just three months into the whole motherhood thing, I would say the most challenging aspect is trying to find a balance. That and I am always worried, I have always been a worrier so now that another little human being’s life depends on me increases that worry by like a million times. Yikes.
3. Who or what is your inspiration in life?
My family. Every member of my family, my extended family, my in-laws; they all inspire me. I know that seems really broad but it’s true. I think family is such an amazing thing that a lot of role take advantage of. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a family who loves them and stands behind them. I am lucky enough to have that and that inspires me in everything I do. My husband inspires me with his hardwork, dedication to his family and friends, his kind heart, his willingness to lend a hand anyone who needs it at the drop of a hat, his sense of humor, his unconditional love and understanding, his ability to refrain from judgment or gossiping, I wish I could be more like him. My Dad inspires me because he has been through so much and he continues to hold his head high and truck on. My grandarents have all inspired me and taught me so much throughout my lifetime. My siblings inspire me…this could go on and on for days…but you get the hint.
4. What do you like to do in your spare time (that is assuming you have any)?
Hang out with my hubby, visiting my family, board games, video games, TV, crochet, writing, reading…do I always have or make time to do these things; not really, but I’m busy with a babe and that’s more fun than anything else.
5. What are 3 things you absolutely cannot live without?
My family, my coffee maker and my hair dryer.
6. What is your morning routine to get your day started?
It really depends on the day, but it almost always has to start with a mug (or entire batch of) coffee. I used to be an early riser (like 6 am) but now that I have been waking during the night with Harrison, I sleep in a little more. I’m trying to get back in the swing of things and wake early again so I have a little more time to myself to tidy the house and enjoy my coffee before everyone else wakes u too.
7. Name your top 3 favorite foods of all time.
Mashed potatoes and gravy, spaghetti, and a big juicy cheeseburger.
8. What is your fondest childhood memory?
I would have to say this: One time my brother and I were out in a pasture trying to pet a new baby calf when all of a sudden we noticed it’s momma coming toward us and she did not look leased with us, in fact, she was so upset she started chasing us. My brother and I took off and were running over weeds and rocks in the field. I heard a thud behind me and much to my shock and fear, my brother had fallen. I turned to see if he was okay and he reached out and yelled “SAVE YOURSELF!” My four or five year old self was very conflicted. HAHA but don’t worry we all made it out alright.
9. Beer or wine?
I think I would be more inclined to just grab a beer, but since meeting my husband, I have been enjoying wine a lot more. But I still think I like beer just a little more.
10. Top 3 pet peeves.
When someone in a restaurant is coughing or blowing their nose excessively, slow drivers who stay in the fast lane and when someone gets too close to your food or, heaven forbid, feels the need to TOUCH my food…why?!?
11. If you had the power to change one thing in this world, what would that be?
There is so much in this world I wish I could change. I wish everyone would have friends and family and food and shelter. I wish bullying wasn’t such a hard thing for kids to deal with. I wish women didn’t feel so much need to fit the ideals society has set. I wish we could live all short each other rather than feel the need to be better than each other.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I am addicted to coffee…I seriously do not think I can go a whole day without some amount of coffee. Even when I am under the weather I still crave it and NEED it! My best friend always knows when we are traveling that our first order of business is to find me a coffee and find her some food. 🙂
- I am a total cat lady…before I had Harrison I secretly wished I could be a stay at home cat mom. Forget what kind of maternity leave a company offers, I want to know about Cat-ernity leave.
- I prefer a quiet night at home with my family than anything else...I am a homebody, although I do enjoy traveling and going out to eat or going to the mall from time to time, but I think home is where the memories are made.
- I am tying this on a keyboard where a certain key doesn’t work…let’s see if you can guess which one it is…
- Right now green is my favorite color…and that’s only because all the trees and grass are turning such a bright cheerful color of green. It makes me joyful!
- I feel that nothing is more refreshing than a long walk outside in the sun …which is what I am going to do when I finish writing out this list.
- I will not miss living in town…I grew up in the country and loved laying outside without worrying about cars driving by right outside your house or wondering if you would be bothering your neighbors. I can’t wait to move out into the country again.
- I am an old soul… Everyone tells me that I have an old soul. I do. I often find myself saying things like, “Kids these days,” and shaking my head. I also find nothing more enjoyable than visiting with folks over a nice hot cup of coffee.
- I collect Barbies… I know these days Barbie is the enemy, promoting poor body image in girls, but to me Barbie was a source of inspiration and girl power. Women can do anything they want or anything they need to be and to me that is way more powerful and moving than what someone looks like. It’s okay to be skinny, it’s okay to be fat, it’s okay to be girly…the important thing is that we love ourselves and each other and know that we can move mountains together. To me, that’s what Barbie was about!
- Ice cream is my favorite… My husband and I are regulars at the local Dairy Queen. If that doesn’t sound like a small town thing I don’t know what does. I just love a good chocolate shake, Oreo Blizzard or a chocolate dipped cone! Yum, yum!
- I desperately want one of the new pink Macbooks…. Can I please be selfish and materialistic and buy one for myself?! I am seriously having a serious internal struggle over this. I should be a wise steward of my money but I should also treat myself to a beautiful pink computer! Whyyy….
Okay, thank you so much for bearing with me and reading all these unnecessary facts about lil’ ol’ Lacey. Now I would like to share with you my nominations. I know it says 11 nominees, but I am fairly new to the whole blogging community and did not want to just take a shot in the dark with who I nominate. So, I went ahead and nominated one blog instead of 11…sorry but rules are meant to be broken…sometimes.. Sorry.
And my nomination goes to:
Julie from Full Fat Diet: I loved the look and layout of her blog first of all and upon clicking around I loved the concept behind it! Now, I am not a food blogger and I do some cooking for my family but nothin’ fancy from my kitchen, but her recipes sound awesome. On top of that it’s all about cooking in…you guessed it…Full Fat which is much different than what America has been programmed to do lately. Here it is all about low-fat, fat free recipes.
Caren at The Caren Diaries: I’m pretty sure I automatically fell in love with the blog immediately thanks to the pretty layout and graphics. But then reading her posts about her life is icing on the cake! Check her out! I can’t wait to read more and more from her.
Salma at Made in Craftadise: Yes, yes, yes, pink, cute and CRAFTS! I am a crafter wannabe, like I enjoy crocheting and painting things once in awhile, but this is craft-spirational. I’m so happy to have found your site Salma and cannot wait to see even more of your posts!
Alexie at Always Alexie: Alexie’s blog is so personable, I could tell that right away from reading the first few posts. She has a lot of great tips for other mama’s, which I totally need right now since I’m learning as I go with my own 3-month-old rugrat! The way Alexie writes her posts makes it feel as though we are having a conversation about life, motherhood and so much more over a cup of coffee.
Lifeatture: Okay, I have to admit, I used to be healthy. I swear I did although I feel like that was a lifetime ago. But, in the process of getting married, becoming preggo and then giving birth, I have totally lost sight of taking care of myself. But Lifeatture has a lot of great tips and ideas on health and just life in general. A lot of great reads on her site so far!
Kat at Kat Carah: First of all I love this: “I’m just a girl, standing in front of a plate of mozzarella sticks asking them not to be 1000 calories!” (this is her sites tagline, and it’s brilliant, and I’m envious of how witty it is) That alone made me want to learn more about her and read more of her site! She is so cute and witty and I kind of want to be BFFs now!
Questions for you:
- Why did you decide to start your blog?
- What has been your biggest blogging challenge?
- What besides blogging are your hobbies?
- What is your favorite post that you have written so far and why?
- I think we should all take time to brag about ourselves from time to time otherwise no one else may ever do so. So, what has been your proudest moment in life so far?
- What is your favorite food and least favorite food?
- Book or movie?
- Favorite websites/apps?
- What is your morning routine?
- Do you watch TV, if so what are your three favorite shows?
- Any guilty pleasures? If so what are they?
Now readers, I ask a favor of you, please check out all of the above blogs and drop a comment and subscribe to their blogs. I bet they would return the favor if you are also a blogger!